Getting a wood stain on your skin while working is a pretty typical scenario. It isn’t very reassuring, but there is nothing you can do about it. You can surely take all the precautions, but somehow while you work, you will get some wood stain on your skin. So, you are left with some wood stain on your skin.
But you don’t need to keep it that way. Because I will tell you how to get the wood stain off the skin, and it’s not just about chemicals or products, I will take you through six different methods for this one.
Let’s get going then.
Table of Contents
Know about Wood Stain Formulas
You will find four prime ingredients in wood stain. They are resins, pigments, volatiles, and additives.
Among them, volatile is something that gets evaporated once the stain touches wood. Pigments are the ingredients that bring out the color in them. Resin works as the glue to the whole unit and binds wood stain with wood. Finally, additives are used to give the wood stain its traits and characteristics.
With different combinations and elements of these ingredients, you get to see five types of wood stains. Oil-based, gel-based, water-based, varnish, and lacquer.
Must-Know about Solvent Safety
Whenever you are working with any kinds of solvents, you must take some safety measures. In cases of working with the wood stain, you have to maintain the following ones-
How to Remove Wood Stain from Skin [6 Methods]
Here are six different methods to get the wood stain off the skin.
Method 1: Natural Oils to Remove Stain from Skin
Here are some natural oils you can try to remove wood stain from hands.
- You can use any food-grade oil for cleaning the wood stain off the skin.
- Take some olive oil or vegetable oil in a bowl. And put your hands inside the bowl to soak them.
- Now take a damp cloth and rub the stain. The stain should come off with the fabric.
- Then, flip the cloth in the clean part. And rub your skin with it while adding some salt.
- Once you see the stain removing, use water and soap to clean it thoroughly.
- You might have to do this several times for getting wood stains off the skin.
Method 2: Washing Soda to Remove Stain from Skin
Washing soda can also be an excellent way to remove the wood stain.
- First of all, take some soda power and put them in a bowl.
- Then add 3x amount of water in that bowl. Make sure you take the amount of water thrice compared to the soda.
- Now, take a cloth and dip it in the mixture. A saturated cloth works better in this case.
- After dipping it in, scrub the stained area to remove the wood stain on the skin.
- Make sure not to rub your skin too hard or too much.
Method 3: Mineral spirits to Remove Stain from Skin
Using mineral spirits is the best way to get the wood stain off the skin for Oil-based stains.
- Pour some mineral spirits into a metal bowl. Be careful of mineral spirits as they contain toxic fumes and are highly flammable.
- Then, take a cloth and dip it into the bowl of mineral spirits.
- Now, start rubbing the stain with the dipped cloth. While you are rubbing, put your skin under warm running water to get the stains off.
- After the wood stain removes from the skin, immediately start rinsing your skin. Use warm water for that purpose.
- Once you are done rinsing your skin properly, use some moisturizer or lotion. This helps you avoid damage and irritation in your skin.
Method 4: Rubbing alcohol to Remove Stain from Skin
If you have some alcohol substance at your home, you can use it. It’s an easy way to remove wood stains from your skin.
- Pour some alcohol into a metal bowl.
- Take a cloth and dip it in the bowl. Make sure to have a clean cloth so you can tell the difference.
- Now, rub the stain on your skin with the alcohol-dipped cloth.
- Alcohol can be rough on your skin, so you have to clean off the alcohol too.
- You can use some soap water to rinse off the alcohol. Then use some moisturizer to get rid of the dryness.
Method 5: Home Remedies to Remove Stain from Skin
There are some simple home remedies you can try to get the wood stain off your hands.
- You can use makeup removers to get rid of these stains. They can take off the stains with ease.
- Take a completely clean cloth.
- Now, use the cloth as a scrubber. Take some makeup cleaner and put them on the stain.
- Scrub the stain with the cloth and makeup remover.
- Do it gently as you would do with the makeup remover to remove makeup.
Method 6: Food-Safe Products to Remove Stain from Skin
Food-safe products can be an excellent way to avoid using chemicals on your skin.
- You can use some plain white vinegar to remove such stains. Or you can try some baking soda.
- Just take a bowl and pour some baking soda or plain white vinegar in it.
- Then add some water to make a paste out of it. Don’t put too much water.
- Mix until you get some abrasiveness from the mixture.
- Then rub the mixture on the stain and scrub it off.
Is wood stain on skin dangerous?
The whole purpose of getting wood stain off from your skin is the dangerous effect of it. If it stays in the long term, then it can harm your skin to the point of treatment. This is because the volatile and pigment ingredients of the wood stain are highly harmful to your skin. And there is no alternative to these chemicals.
Is it safe to stain wood indoors?
Staining wood indoors can be a horrible idea. You will need a room entirely dedicated to this. Also, you have to wear all kinds of protective gear, including respiratory equipment. Finally, because the fumes of wood stain can be very toxic for living beings, all in all, it’s not safe to stain wood indoors.
Related: How To Sand a Deck for Staining?
Well, there you go. Now that you know how to get the wood stain off the skin, you are ready to color up the wood. Even though the protective gear may not defend you from all the threats, it can keep it in control. So, make sure to take all the precautionary measures when you are working with wood stain.