Are you looking for the best bowl sanders? Look no further! I will discuss the different types of bowl sanders and their uses in this article. I will also provide a buyer's guide to help you choose the right bowl sander for your needs. So whether you are a beginner or a pro, read on to learn more about these handy tools!
Table of Contents
- When is it best to use a bowl sander?
- How to choose the Best Bowl Sanders?
- Best Rated Bowl Sander for Wood Lathe Turning: An Overview
- 1. Taytools 204055 Deluxe Rotary Bowl Sander
- 2. Peachtree 2 inch Diameter Bowl Sander
- 3. HandiyWS Bowl Sander
- 4. QINHAN Bowl Sander
- 5. Robert Sorby H9086 Sandmaster Bowl Sanding Tool
- 6. Mingrui Bowl Hand Sanding Tool
- 7. Woodcut Tools Bowlsaver Complete System
- What is a bowl sander?
- How does a bowl sander work?
- How do you use a bowl sander?
- How to sand the inside of the bowl?
- How do you stop a wooden bowl from cracking?
- What are some of the projects that can be completed with a bowl sander?
- What are some of the benefits of using a bowl sander?
- Bowl Sanding Tips
When is it best to use a bowl sander?
A bowl sander is an excellent tool for shaping and sanding the inside of bowls, cups, or other concave surfaces. It can also be used for sanding the edges of boards or other flat surfaces.
The best time to use a bowl sander is when you need to remove a lot of material quickly or when you need to achieve a very smooth surface. It's also a good choice for sanding concave surfaces that are difficult to reach with other sanders.
How to choose the Best Bowl Sanders?
A look around the market, there are plenty of choices for you to choose from, each claiming that they have some advantages over others. However, this doesn't necessarily mean it will best fit your budget or needs as a woodturner. Below are factors that I think will help you narrow down your choices and end up with the best tool without any regrets!
Attachments and Setting
The first factor to consider is the attachments and set-up of the machine. The sander should have a good number of hook and loop pads for sizing and shaping your workpiece accordingly. It should also have flexible options in terms of height, angle, or both so you can enjoy flexibility while working on any piece that you want.
Depending on how often you use sanders and how large or small your projects are, adjusting sanders might become necessary. Some bowl sanders are manually adjustable. Adjustability makes your work easier and less stressful. For example, when you are making a small bowl and need to finish the inside of it, an 8-inch diameter sander will take more time than necessary. In this case, a smaller-sized sander can do the job well without spending too much effort on it.
Size & Style
You should have a clear picture of the size and style of the sander that you want to buy. It will help you narrow down your choices by 50% because if you need a large bowl sander, there are just a few brands in the market offering this type, so it will give you an easier time when selecting from those varieties instead of trying out every brand on the market. If your choice is between fixed or swivel bases, pick based on what suits your needs best as both offer great results for lathe turning wood projects.
One important aspect to consider when looking for a bowl sander is the head. Rotating heads are very helpful since they allow you to make more contact with your project and produce better results in less time!
For beginners in woodturning, using sanding tools can be very dangerous since they cannot use them properly without causing alterations and injuries on the hands and arms. A protective handle solves this issue by providing safer machine handling and protecting your hands from accidents like slipping, burning, etc. Although there are bowl sanders with built-in handles having an additional handle for protection is more convenient because you can still grab it while working on the project.
Quick-Change of Discs
When working with woodturning projects, there is always a need to switch sanding discs depending on the type and thickness of wood material used. However, with a quick-change feature, this task can be done faster so that you don't have to work wasting time in between. This means more efficient and effective use of your power tool.
Ease of Use
Some bowl sanding machines have easy-to-use features such as handle grips and large wheels. These features enable users to carry the machines with ease and maneuver them perfectly.
This is another attribute you should consider before buying a particular machine for woodturning projects. If the one you choose does not have durability, then it means that it will require frequent maintenance and more money from your pocket.
There you have it, and these are the most important factors to keep in mind when looking for such an essential piece of equipment like the best bowl sander. So go through every detail carefully before making your final selection to get exactly what you want without any hassle or complications along the way. Have a good one!
Best Rated Bowl Sander for Wood Lathe Turning: An Overview
There are a lot of different bowl sanders on the market, but which one is the best for wood lathe turning? Here I'll look at seven best-rated bowl sanders for wood lathe turning and see what they offer.
1. Taytools 204055 Deluxe Rotary Bowl Sander
Have you ever noticed that sanded bowls always have those ugly sanding marks around the outside of the bowl? What's the point in polishing up your bowl if it has those awful markings all over?
Let your hands do the work with the Taytools 204055 Deluxe Rotary Bowl Sander. If you've been worried about unsightly sanding marks, this adjustable bowl sander will make quick work and an even finish all around.
All it takes is a turn of the dial to find that perfect angle for a smooth-as-glass finish. With four foam pads (2 every 3 inches and two every 2 inches), it's easy to mount hook & loop discs right on the machine for just one ready set up.
When using the Taytools Deluxe Rotary Bowl Sander, you can be confident knowing that there will be little need for additional sandpaper, and dust-ups from sanding are greatly minimized. In addition, the sander has an onboard depth gauge and a claw hook attachment that means less clunky boxes in your workspace!
Lathe sanding has often been a complicated process. So many things could go wrong, and it's not always easy to find the right tools for the job. With Taytools 204055 Deluxe Rotary Bowl Sander, you don't have to worry about any of this! This powerful tool is made specifically with lathes in mind- just what we've needed all along!
Taytools 204055's head can be adjusted in both directions to find the perfect angle for any job. This allows you to focus on your work and not have a constant need to readjust it, which is especially helpful when sanding different bowl sizes.
The foam grip is great for comfort and reduces hand strain.
The ergonomic design of this handle will make your job easier, no matter what you're doing!
The rotating head of this bowl sander is driven by the piece spinning on a lathe.
This invention created an easier and faster way to sand bowls that would be otherwise difficult or impossible with a traditional stationary hand-held tool.
Work with all-size bowls
The Taytools 204055 is the perfect sander for any job. It can sand fine with both inside and outside contours, making it easy to get a smooth finish on almost anything!
- Smooth sanding experience
- Easily adjust the angle to get a perfect finish
- Get an even, polished surface every time.
- Know your hands are safe from sanding marks!
- Only 4 of a pretty coarse grade
2. Peachtree 2 inch Diameter Bowl Sander
You're a genius! You have just found your new favorite tool! The Peachtree 2 inch Diameter Bowl Sander is one of the newest inventions that offer dual bearing heads to ensure you are getting even and consistent sanding. But this puppy doesn't stop there; they also come equipped with a magnetic base for hands-free use as well as low-profile sides so that you can get in those hard-to-reach places.
What's best about it? First, it comes with an affordable 9-inch long handle, making it perfect for reaching those high spots or just giving yourself more leverage when needed. But don't worry about your safety. Peachtree Bowl Sander has included an incredible foam holder device and hook and loop feature, which ensures no slippage during use.
If you need a sander and love crafts, this is the perfect product for you. It's best suited to shaping contours of turnings!
Dual Bearing Head
You'll always be satisfied with your finished project when you use the Dual Bearing Bowl Sander. With two rotating, smooth bearings and less friction than other models without bearing, this is unrivaled in performance!
Adjustable head assembly
The adjustable head means that you can use the sander on any project, even if it's curved. In addition, you won't have to worry about setting up your workpiece in a way where it will be safe for this tool because of how flexible and customizable its settings are!
Light pressure and consistent technique
If you're interested in getting the job done quickly and with a professional finish, then this is for you! Not only does it save time but also your hands from blisters. It takes light strokes to get an even surface on any wood project without damaging or destroying its original beauty.
Foam sanding head
The sander features a foam sanding head that gives just enough to provide you with wonderful, flawless results every time.
This tool includes the most common and versatile diameter for the sandpaper, making it perfect for any project or material type. And its gentle, forgiving texture will have your bowls looking like new in no time at all!
- It comes with a 9-inch long handle for reaching high spots.
- Low profile sides to get in those hard-to-reach places.
- Durable and long-lasting
- Dual bearing head for even sanding
- It worked great until the Velcro that holds the sanding disc to the foam pad came loose
3. HandiyWS Bowl Sander
Oh, your fingers are going to feel so sorry for themselves once you use the HandiyWS Bowl Sander. This bowl sander is lightweight and easy to carry. In addition, it comes equipped with an adjustable spindle head that can be turned 360 degrees, so you get the perfect shape for any part of the wood!
The HandiyWS Bowl Sander is a versatile sanding device that replaces tedious, time-consuming hand sanding. This powerful tool eliminates quality control risks while saving time and money on production due to ease of use.
The rotating sander head lock-in feature will not dig into expensive wood like other standard sanders, reducing the risk of leaving burn marks or unsavory polishes. Along with this, it includes four foam padded heads of 2", 3", and ten 240-grit discs for each size, so you have plenty to equip your workplace!
An all-in-one tool, the HandyWS Bowl Sander is perfect for any woodworker or DIY enthusiast on a budget. Satisfying even the most demanding tasks, this sanding device can remove mill marks and burn arcs without making your project dusty or misshaped.
Variable in its angle of impact, this seemingly flexible gadget never loses its momentum, keeping your project both sleek in appearance and considerably durable. In addition, with protective foam materials absorbing shocks from rough usage, you'll be at ease as you apply waxes, an essential for wood upkeep!
With this tool, it is possible to have finish sanding and spindle work simultaneously, which saves time and increases efficiency.
Sand on Lathe
The sander provides a perfect finish to wood pieces while they're spinning on the lathe. The sander's smooth surface is great for finishing, and its circular motion can be used in many different ways to create various effects, like sanding reliefs or polishing up edges.
The best time-saving feature that comes with a model like this is its smoothness in rotation; you won't need to worry about any friction or digging on your wood piece, thanks to the round surface built into it. In addition, this will ensure durability from repeated use and quality consistency during each job - no burning marks here!!
The head assembly of the HandiyWS Bowl Sander can be set and locked at almost any angle. As a result, you have more control over how you shape your bowl with this tool!
The Head Assembly for the HandiyWS Bowl Sander is designed to make shaping bowls easier than ever before. With its adjustable angles, you'll spend less time trying to figure out what setting will work best--just find it in seconds instead!
The HandiyWS Bowl Sander is easy to use and nice on the hands. It has a 7 1/2" handle covered with soft, durable foam that protects your palms from being worn out because of its anti-skid and shockproof qualities.
- It's lightweight
- The sanding head is 2 inches in diameter
- Durable design that is easy to use
- Your job will be easier and quicker
- You'll feel accomplished with this tool in your hand.
- It's pretty difficult to lock areas or faces when sanding contours.
4. QINHAN Bowl Sander
If you've ever tried to sand a chunky bowl, you know how frustrating it can be. You're constantly moving around; as one side moves away from the sandpaper, the other is forced to go back in for more material removal, and where does all that dust end up going? That's what this bowl sander solves.
The hook and loop pads cling snugly around your project. At the same time, the long wooden handle never gets tired of keeping all of your focus on removing just enough wood without making a mistake or damaging the shop floor because we're unlikely to tumble into any saw blades when we have our guard down!
This is not just a normal sanding tool; the QINHAN MWQ-001 Bowl Sander goes above and beyond what you may think. For those woodworkers on a budget but who desire a durable tool for their worthwhile projects, the bowl sander by Qinhan offers plenty of versatility at an affordable price point.
You will no longer have to worry about burnt fingers when sanding your bowls or to turn on the lathe, thanks to a brilliant design from QINHAN. The automatic bowl sander is an innovative new tool that takes care of all this for you!
Long Hardwood Handle
The ergonomic rotating handle on this tool is 11.8 inches long, which gives you more control and lets your fingers stay safe from harm while using it!
This bowl sander is equipped with the perfect sanding pad for a precision job. The high-quality pads allow you to adjust at any angle needed and make it easy for your hand to spin around without slipping off, making this tool great if you're working on something small or need detailed work done in tight spaces.
50 Pcs sandpapers
Now you can stop beating up your hands when doing inside bowls work with this product-- it's what you've been looking for! There are 50 pieces of sandpaper in 80/120/150/180, and 240 grit. This will meet all your general woodturning needs, making the rough surface smooth and shiny!"
- It makes sanding bowls easier
- Enjoy your time at work instead of dreading it.
- The hook and loop pads never move, so you don't have to worry about them slipping off or getting dirty.
- Never feel frustrated again when trying to sand a bowl
- The swivel doesn't tighten
5. Robert Sorby H9086 Sandmaster Bowl Sanding Tool
Most woodturners have been using sandpaper by hand for years. And while it's a technique that has stood the test of time, there are also some shortcomings with this old method. Maybe you didn't like the way your finished workpiece looked due to sanding marks, or maybe your fingers were getting tired from all that finger pressure - whatever the case may be, it's always good to consider when asked if there is something better out there—introducing Sorby's new Sandmaster Bowl Sanding Tool - specially designed to make turning a fascinating and stress-free experience!
With this all-in-one sanding and polishing solution for any turner, your days of awkward sanding by hand on the ground are over! In one motion, you can smooth out rough edges with sandpaper or hone them to a perfect finish with velcro discs. With its included 2" velcro pad, big things get done quick. Upgrade to a 3" disc for the ultimate finishing package. Use Robert Sorby's Sandmaster Bowl Sanding Tool today - everyone will be impressed!
The Robert Sorby H9086 Sandmaster Bowl Sanding Tool is one of the most important tools for a turner's tool kit. It can sand any bowl with precision and care, ensuring that it looks new in no time at all!
The Robert Sorby H9086 bowl sander allows you to shape your wood into perfect proportions without worry about damaging or distorting its surface quality. So whether you're just getting started as an ambitious hobbyist (and want something reliable), are already experienced but need some more advanced equipment, or are hoping to start out doing this full-time professionally - then this is worth considering investing in first thing off the bat because it provides such versatility across every level of expertise.
Sanding and Polishing
This bowl sander is perfect for sanding and polishing workpieces without interruptions on the lathe. This saves time, energy, and money with precise finishes that are hard to get by hand alone!
2" Velcro Pad
The Robert Sorby H9086 comes with a 2" Velcro Pad for a quick change of abrasive discs. This allows you to have the flexibility and versatility that only this product can offer, giving unparalleled control over your pieces, whether turning or flatwork!
The 3" Pad has been added in as an optional extra for bigger projects. The pad is the perfect addition to have when you are working on a larger project and need more control over your sanding surface area but don't want to buy another whole sander.
- Make your chunky bowls smooth in no time.
- No more wasted time.
- More efficient sanding.
- The freedom to work with a bowl the way you want it.
- Save your hands from getting sore.
- You'll be able to sand bowls for hours without tiring out.
- The pad is a little hard
6. Mingrui Bowl Hand Sanding Tool
Amazing at what it does and doesn't do! You know that nagging feeling you get when you're turning wood on the lathe and can't reach a pesky spot? When your fingers can't quite go far enough, either because they are not long enough to reach or powerful enough to withstand the friction of attempted sanding. Now with Mingrui Wood Bowl Hand Sanding Tool, your worries will be gone!
This is an excellent piece for gripping tight over precious hands attached to ungrateful children while their father encourages them from afar. This next-generation product has revolutionized how people turn wood on the lathe by giving access to difficult spots and making it possible for even more whining!
Smooth lines, sleek edges, and an even finish are just the beginning. The Mingrui Bowl Hand Sanding Tool takes this one-step process further with its innovative design for use on a lathe.
Turners are always looking for ways to improve their skillset and get more creative with projects. The Mingrui bowl sander is the perfect way to explore your creativity in wood turning! With the round abrasive sand pad discs, you'll be able to finish any project on lathes perfectly.
The Sander Head adjusts so you can sand at various angles, and it moves with the curve of your workpiece. This is especially helpful when you're trying to match the curvature of a shape to achieve an even, smooth finish that doesn't feel too rough or bumpy.
Dual Ball Bearings
Smooth and precise, the Mingrui Bowl Sander is ideal for sanding inside 4 inches or taller bowls. The dual ball bearings make this an easy task as they smoothly glide over any surface to smooth out those pesky straight lines left behind by traditional strips of wood or hand-sanding alone.
The DCT Bowl Sander is the perfect tool for any woodworker. With a 10-inch long (25.4cm) molded wooden oversized monster handle, it's easy to grip and use with two hands making you more productive without tiring your arms out!
Easy to Use
This bowl sander is an amazing addition to any woodworker's arsenal of tools. It allows you to finish sanding and polish your pieces while they're mounted on a lathe, giving you the ability to do most bowls with diameters 4 inches or more!
- You'll be able to sand bowls in half the time.
- No more sore hands from sanding.
- You'll save time and effort on your next project.
- Have a sense of accomplishment as you complete an entire bowl in one go!
- Designed to be disposable and single-use only
7. Woodcut Tools Bowlsaver Complete System
Why should you remove rings from wood bowls? The dirt, debris and grease & oils that gather within the bowl can ruin your work. So much so that we at Woodcut Tools would go as far as to say they'll make it almost impossible to turn a finished piece!
That's why Woodcut Bowlsaver was designed, shaped, and made for turners - with everything needed to be included in the offering! As a result, this Bowlsaver is safely keeping your lathe free of any potential damage. In addition, you're not getting this range of variety from any other manufacturer.
When you want to turn a bowl, the bigger, the better! The Woodcut Tools Bowlsaver Complete System is designed by turners for turners. With a system that has everything included for all skill levels, Woodcut Tools Bowlsaver takes all of the guesswork out of turning bowls on any common lathe. This tool kit will fit your large or small lathe from 12" to 16". In addition, you won't have to worry about buying specialty tools because they are already in this package. So get ready to tackle new challenges with Woodcut Tools Bowlsaver!
It's just an extra-large spoon. It is, in fact, the world's most powerful and complete woodworking bowl-hollowing tool.
Fit almost all lathes, large and small
The Bowlsaver is a revolutionary new device that allows bowls to be turned on any lathe. It fits into most 12" - 16" swing size large and small bowl turning machines, making it an essential tool for the modern-day turner!
Safe and easy for all levels
The Bowlsaver is the safest and most effective coring device on the market as it's integrated with both tool rest tail stock, making it easy for turners of all levels to use. In addition, the innovative design ensures that bowls are never lost in between castings or even cut due to a lack of safety measures.
Save money and time
The Bowlsaver will take your bowl-making to the next level! With two high-strength blades, you can cut up bowls from 3" all the way up to 12" and 5 inches deep! The best part is that there's no need for any additional blade purchases.
Predictable results every time
The Crown Tools Woodcut Tools Bowlsaver is a must-have for anyone who enjoys woodworking. The Stellite cutters are top of the line and can tackle both green or seasoned kinds of wood, making it perfect for carving out your next masterpiece with accuracy. In addition, this kit includes templates that determine bowl depth and an optional Light Guide, which will make this even easier than ever before!
- Save money on bowl repairs
- Protect your investment in bowls
- Bowlsaver's patented design is the only system that guarantees that you'll never chip or break a bowl again.
- You'll get years' worth of professional quality results from this one investment in your hobby or business!
- It's expensive
What is a bowl sander?
A bowl sander is a round piece of wood with sandpaper covering it, used to sand curved surfaces.
A Bowl Sander is a tool that sands rounded (bowl-shaped) pieces of wood. It has an area of sandpaper, usually wrapped in concentric circles from the center outwards, to accommodate any height surface and curvature.
The term "bowl sander" is derived from the tool's shape, which resembles a bowl standing upright on its bottom edge. Originally made for woodworking purposes, it was later adapted for metalworking tasks. It replaced steel blocks since they were more versatile and provided better support than wooden blocks when working on curved surfaces.
How does a bowl sander work?
A bowl sander is a power tool that uses an abrasive disk to smooth the surface of wood or other materials. The disk is mounted on a shaft that rotates at high speed, and the operator controls the position and speed of the disk with two handles.
Bowl sanders are commonly used to sand bowls and other round objects, such as table legs or chair spindles. They can also be used to sand small pieces of wood, such as dowels or narrow strips. Some models include a built-in dust collector to keep the work area clean.
How do you use a bowl sander?
Assuming you have a bowl sander, the following is a guide on how to use it:
- The first step is to attach the bowl sander to your drill. Make sure that the bowl sander is securely attached before proceeding.
- You'll need to choose the right sandpaper for your project. If you're unsure which grit to use, start with a higher number and work your way down.
- Once you've chosen the right sandpaper, it's time to start sanding! Begin by moving the bowl sander around the outside edge of your bowl. Slowly move inwards until you've reached the desired level of smoothness.
- Finally, remove the bowl sander and look at your handiwork. If you're happy with the results, then you're all done!
Following these simple steps, you can easily use a bowl sander to achieve smooth, professional-looking results.
How to sand the inside of the bowl?
If you're looking to sand the inside of a bowl, there's no need to break out the power tools. You can do the job by hand with a bit of elbow grease and the right sandpaper. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to sand the inside of a bowl:
- Start with coarse sandpaper. A 60-grit sandpaper will do the trick.
- Apply pressure evenly as you sand around the inside of the bowl. Remember to sand in different directions to avoid creating any deep scratches.
- Once you've gone over the entire surface with the coarse sandpaper, switch to a finer grit. A 120-grit sandpaper will work well.
- Again, sand evenly around the inside of the bowl, making sure to sand in different directions.
- Once satisfied with the results, remove any sanding debris from the bowl and give it a quick wipe down with a damp cloth.
If you have patience and effort, it is possible to sand the inside of a bowl by hand without using power tools. Just be sure to start with coarse sandpaper and finish with finer grit for the best results.
Learn how to sand a bowl's inside by watching this video:
How do you stop a wooden bowl from cracking?
If you're concerned about your wooden bowl cracking, there are a few things you can do to stop it from happening. Here are a few tips:
1. Choose the right wood.
Some woods are more likely to crack than others. If you're unsure which type of wood to use, ask a knowledgeable salesperson at your local crafts store.
2. Avoid using water.
Water can cause wood to swell and crack. If you must wash your bowl, use mild soap and dry it immediately afterward.
3. Don't place your bowl in direct sunlight.
Sunlight can cause the wood to expand and crack.
4. Store your bowl in a cool, dry place.
If you live in a humid climate, consider using a dehumidifier to keep the air around your bowl dry.
5. Inspect your bowl regularly.
If you notice any cracks, repair them immediately with wood glue.
Following these simple tips can help prevent your wooden bowl from cracking.
What are some of the projects that can be completed with a bowl sander?
A bowl sander is a versatile tool that can be used for a variety of projects. Here are seven bowl projects that you can complete with a bowl sander:
1. Refinishing a wood bowl:
A bowl sander can be used to refinish a wood bowl. This is a great way to restore or give an old bowl a new look.
2. Sanding down a rough edge:
If you have a bowl with a rough edge, you can use a bowl sander to smooth it down. This is a great way to make a bowl more comfortable to use.
3. Creating a smooth surface:
If you want to create a smooth surface on a bowl, you can use a bowl sander. This will give the bowl a polished look.
4. Removing paint from a bowl:
If you have a bowl with paint on it, you can use a bowl sander to remove it. This is a great way to prepare a bowl for painting or staining.
5. Sanding down a rough finish:
If you have a bowl with a rough finish, you can use a bowl sander to smooth it down. This is a great way to create a more consistent finish on a bowl.
6. Removing stains from a bowl:
If you have a bowl with stains, you can use a bowl sander to remove them. This is a great way to clean up a bowl before using it.
7. Creating decorative patterns:
If you want to create decorative patterns on a bowl, you can use a bowl sander. This is a great way to add some personality to a plain bowl.
What are some of the benefits of using a bowl sander?
A bowl sander can be a great addition to your woodworking shop, offering many benefits over traditional sanding methods. Here are eight reasons to consider using a bowl sander:
1. Increased Efficiency
A bowl sander can help you sand faster and more efficiently than traditional methods. The circular motion of the sander helps to evenly distribute material removal, meaning you can sand more quickly and evenly.
2. Reduced Material Waste
Since bowl sanders evenly distribute material removal, there is less waste than traditional sanding methods. This can help save you money in the long run, as you won't have to replace your sandpaper as often.
3. Improved Safety
Bowl sanders can be safer than other sanding methods, as there is less risk of kickback and injury. The sander's circular motion also helps reduce the amount of dust produced, making it a safer option for both you and your shop.
4. Enhanced Sanding Quality
The consistent, even motion of bowl sanders results in a higher quality finish than traditional methods. This is due to the bowl sander's ability to distribute material removal across the sanded surface evenly.
5. Greater Versatility
Bowl sanders are versatile and can be used on various materials, including wood, metal, plastic, and more. This versatility makes bowl sanders an excellent option for both hobbyists and professionals.
6. Easy to Use
Bowl sanders are relatively easy to use, even for those with limited woodworking experience. The circular motion of the sander is easy to control, and most bowl sanders come with adjustable speed settings to further customize your results.
7. Low Cost
Compared to other types of sanders, bowl sanders are very affordable. This makes them an excellent option for budget-minded woodworkers who still want quality results.
Bowl sanders are small and lightweight, making them easily transported from one job site to another. This portability makes bowl sanders an excellent option for those who do not have a lot of space in their shop.
Whether you're a professional woodworker or a hobbyist, bowl sanders can offer many benefits over traditional sanding methods.
Bowl Sanding Tips
- Don't try to rush through sanding the outside of a bowl. It's tempting to go for speed, but this is almost always counter-productive in the long run. The rough sawn shape needs sanding on all surfaces until it is uniformly round and smooth before you start the delicate process of sanding between centers and finishing.
- If your lathe chuck has no provision for mounting a wet-and-dry sander, the best way to use one is to fit an adaptor plate with threaded holes or make one. These allow you to fit different sizes of machine tool arbors such as T slot so that you can use wheels of any suitable size mounted in pinion hubs, which will grip directly onto them without clamps. In addition, this allows the sander to be attached and removed easily if you use a different sander size for each stage or just want to change disks from time to time without dismounting it.
- You can use standard arbors, but they have to be locked in position with a clamp, which is awkward. The other advantage of an adaptor plate is making one with holes to suit any diameter shafts. It doesn't matter what size the lathe spindle is; if your threaded hole pattern fits the lathe spindle, then a machine tool arbor should also fit because it's only held on by friction, so it will expand to fit whatever hole pattern you use when mounted on its mandrel.
- A thick sander disk gives a better finish than a thin one, but you can't sand between centers with it. It will fit on any mandrel if the hole's big enough; in fact, I often use 8mm (5⁄16in) arbors to hold the disks for my lathe chuck because 6mm is usually too small and 10mm is larger than necessary.
- When abrasives are being turned, they should be relatively wet as this produces an even cutting action that leaves less texture on the surface of your work. When using oil-based compounds like 3M's Microfinish, use just enough to ensure that loose particles don't go bouncing everywhere off dry patches. There's no need for a lot of oil; it's just there to help the abrasive cut. If you overdo it, you can get an uneven texture in your work, but if you don't use enough oil, there may be chunks out of the surface that only a scraper will remove.
- When using water-based compounds like 3M's #0715 Microfinish sanding disk cleaner or hand-polishing solutions, never use more than is needed to keep loose abrasive particles from going everywhere off dry patches and onto wet ones. A little softer, grainier polishing compound can be used on the final stages to give a little extra gloss, but always use the minimum amount as this will produce less heat under pressure. If you start to overheat your work, it will become softer and more liable to distort under the pressure of the polishing wheels, ruining your final finish.
- When using a new disk, always run it at about half speed until you've used it for a while. This is because disks can warp when hot, which will cause problems with vibration or wobble in the sander if they're mounted directly on the motor arbor. Running a new disk slower than normal for a little while helps break them in and prevent this problem. When mounting one that's already been broken in, make sure that both sides are touching each other so that vibration doesn't transfer from side to side across the face of the disk. The only exception to these rules is the flexible disks mounted on the sander shown in this article. Although they run very fast, the surface usually stays intact while it's being used, so you don't have to worry about warping, which is a common problem with metal disks.
I hope this article has helped you find the best bowl sanders for wood lathe. If there's anything else you need to know, don't hesitate to contact me.